Friday 18 February 2011

baby blankie

One of my friends from work is having a baby in March.  She left for maternity leave last week and me and our other partner in crime are missing her.  We had a collection at work and gave her some vouchers, but we wanted to give her a present from the two of us.  Rachael suggested buying something but I said "no way"!  We agreed on a blanket as Rachael says they're invaluable when you have a newborn.  She knows far more about it than me as she is actually a mother. 


I found a couple of patterns and let Rachael choose, she went for this one on the Lion Brand website.  I bought some Sidar Baby Bamboo in cream.  It's the softest, most gorgeous yarn ever!  It feels like a dream before crocheting and after.  It also crocheted up REALLY fast.  I thought it would take months but it only took a week of after-work crocheting. 



I'm not sure I did the ruffle right to be honest, I may have crocheted in too many stitches, but I like the way it looks.  I decided it needed something and added the satin ribbon.  I blocked it after I'd finished and it does look much nicer!  It wouldn't fit on the ironing board so I pinned it to the carpet and sprayed it.



I had some wool left over so started on a hat, but then I ran out of wool and so have ordered some more.  I feel some booties and mitts coming on!!

9 comments:

Kandi said...

It's beautiful, I honestly though it would have taken months to make. I'm sure she will treasure it, handmade is always best
Kandi x

Rachael@Lovely Crafty Home said...

Beautiful! I love the ruffles. One of these days I will learn to crochet (I only knit). Thanks so much for linking up :)

Sandra :) said...

Wendy it's beautiful! You should make a zipper bag to put it in ... yes? ;) (just kidding, dear! LOL!)
Seriously though - it's a beautiful blanket, and the new momma and baby will treasure it, because Kandi is right - handmade IS best!

Threeundertwo said...

What a perfect gift! She'll love it. It does look like it would take a long time to make. Thanks so much for linking up to Finished for Friday.

Nancy Lee said...

So lovely!
I kept all the handmade outfits, quilts, and booties from when my kids were infants. Aunties and friends put in so many hours of work. It is so wonderful to wrap them up in a soft cloud of a blanket.
Well done!

Unknown said...

This is a beautiful blanket! So sweet and soft!

Lauren @ Love, Water and Wine said...

Love this! I would love for you to link up to my Ten Buck Tuesday link parties!

www.youngnester.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

So pretty. I'm sure mom and baby will appreciate the time and skill you put into such a lovely gift!

Terry said...

Beautiful little blanket, can you email me the stitches that you used?