Friday 8 April 2011

Beads, glorious beads

I made some more bag charms.  Some of the beads are from the craft fair, but I realised I didn't have enough of each of these colours to finish them so had to take a trip to Hobbycraft where I had to pay a fortune for them.  I suppose I could have bought beads online but I just wanted to finish them!



Whilst I was at Hobbycraft I spotted some gorgeous beads at a reasonable price.  I think they're lampwork but I might be wrong.  I made this necklace but I'm just not sure it's good enough.



Too simple?


When I posted my previous bag charms, one of my readers (think it was Tezz but not sure) said that I must have a lot of bags.  Well, these charms are actually going to be presents and I'm hoping to see some too, but yes, I do have a lot of bags.  I have always had a bag addiction and it's one I find hard to fight.  I don't go for designer bags, I don't like designer anything*, though I do have a Radley that my husband bought me.  Since I started sewing, the plan has always been to make myself a bag, preferably using the fat quarters of Pure I bought by accident last year.  So why haven't I?  Because I'm scared.  I've built it up in my mind to be the perfect bag, with room for everything and the right amount of pockets and the right straps and I know there's no way I could fulfil that.  I suppose I'll have to carry on toting round the dozen or so bags I already own!

*a note on the designer thing.  I've always been a bit anti-designer clothes.  I know it's a wide sweeping statement, and it's not the clothes or the designers I disapprove of (despite the fact people pay to advertise their brands!), it's the idea that clothes are only any good if they've got a famous name on them.  My stepdaughter buys designer clothes, she's 11 so they only tend to fit for a few months.  I'm always horrified when she comes home with them.  This is not the same as buying handmade.  I also totally approve of designer fabric!

12 comments:

Kandi said...

They are beautiful!! I love the little lampwork beads with flowers inside, I bough more of them at the craft show last week.
I am like you and would rather pay over the odds to get what I want now, unfortunately hobbycraft is only 10 mins from where I work :/
That necklace is simple but it's really pretty, the simplicity is part of that.
Kandi x

Libby said...

Beautiful bead work! You should totally go for making your bag. I'm sure it will be great! You might want to make one out of muslin first so that you can adjust it and get the final product exactly the way you want it!

Cuckoo said...

I very much like the green charm, it's yum scrumdumptious!

I've been loving all your great comments over at mine. Thank you for letting me know I was a noreply blogger, I've sorted that now, thank you for telling me how to do it. Also That's a good idea to go for rowan cotton for my circle blanket, must finish some WiP's first though!

xxx

Rissa @ Hazel and Honeysuckle said...

Very nice bag charms! I like the necklace too, simplicity means the beads are the focus and that's a good thing! xx

Tezzcan said...

Yep it was I.
Love the necklace too.
I have to say the only designer thing I have is a kipling bag and at the price it cost it had better last me until I'm in my grave. ;)

DANA said...

You have been featured as a finalist on Best of April link up at Saturday Mornings! Be sure to grab your featured button! Here is the link to the announcement!

http://www.thesaturdaymorningsblog.com/2011/04/finalists-for-best-of-april-round-2.html

Shelley said...

I love simple!! These are darling and will make great gifts I would love for sure...LOL

I'm with you on the designer thing...

I love looking at all your projects. You are so very inspiring to many I'm sure!!

Sandra :) said...

YAY bead eye candy! I think the necklace is simple and just right, and your bag charms are gorgeous - the colours and beads are perfect-o!

Allie said...

Oh Wendy those are just gorgeous. I love the necklace too. I'm exactly with you on the designer clothing thing - HATE IT. Same with designer bags. I remember a friend who was just about DYING to own a Kate Spade bag...why? It wasn't that great. I could've bought a lot of fabric with that money, or heck, a new car!

Nancy Lee said...

The necklace is beautiful!
Designer bag -- yuck!
Designer fabric used in a bag created by hand -- yum!

Nicky said...

These are beautiful, my favourite is the white one - and I think the necklace is perfect, very delicate and pretty.

Just-Do said...

Love those bag charms.I don't think the necklace is too simple; less is more! It's just beautiful. I agree with you on the designer thing.I prefer to buy things I like, not because they are of some specific brand or designer. And bags? Just try and make one. Start simple, and carry on. It's not really that difficult.