Wednesday 2 May 2012

Oven gloves

Good morning ladies.  What do you think of my incredibly clever, well thought-out and witty title?

Any ideas what I might have to show you on this fine, sunny morning?  Yes, it's sunny, sort of.  OK, so it's not raining and that makes a big difference.  Not to what I'm going to show you, but to my general well-being and happiness. 

I think I told you that I'd done loads of sewing at the weekend, mainly sewing up stuff I'd cut out the weekend before?  Well one of those items was for my brother.  Last year, perhaps for Christmas?, I made him these oven gloves.  I used a layer of InsulBrite, wadding which protects against heat.  He loves them, but did complain that he sometimes got burnt wearing them so I thought it was about time I made him another set, using a double layer of InsulBrite this time. 


This was a pretty thrifty project as I used tea towels.  I have to admit that I bought the tea towels for this end, but you could use tea towels you already have.  If they've got a hole in them, or a stain, you could always appliqué over it.  As it was, I think this little bundle of 3 co-ordinating tea towels cost me £3.

 

There was one black waffle-weave tea towel, a white cotton one with a black print and a black cotton one with a white print.  I didn't think to take a "before" photo, but then it wouldn't have been that interesting anyway and I'm pretty sure you all know what a tea towel looks like, even three tew towels.  Mind you, I have just had a thought - are they called something else in other countries?  I'm trying to remember what I've seen bloggers in the US calling them and I can't remember.  It's a towel that you use to dry dishes, hence the name "tea towel".  Why on earth do we call them tea towels??  Anyway, I thought they went together pretty well.  Last time I used this pattern, but this time I just used the end-rounding template and made the rest of it up as I went along.


For a start, they're much longer.  I don't like my oven gloves to be too short or it restricts movement, and we all love to do arm stretching exercises whilst cooking...  I cut the two black tea towels in half lengthways, then sliced off a piece about 4" from each, I swapped these two pieces between the two patterns and sewed them in the middle of the two long pieces.  I used the other 2 slices for the binding of the top of the pockets.  I decided to quilt them as I have a pair made from the original tutorial and they're very... fluffy.  I'm not sure that's the right word, but I can't think of a better one! 



I even bound them!  Now you know me and binding don't get on, but I thought it would be the best bet with quilted oven gloves and it was actually pretty easy.  I used a piece of a black sheet for the binding and sewed it completely by machine.  I have just realised that I omitted the hanging hook, he'll have to hang them over the oven handle.

I quilted white on the white parts and black on the black parts, just a simple cross hatch.  I used my machine quilting needles that I bought when making my nephew's quilt (and completely forgot to use!) and managed to snap 2 of them!  My machine was making a VERY strange noise just before they snapped, not sure what's going on there, but I just put in another needle and kept sewing until it stopped making the noise.  I could be a machine repairer with my philosophy of "just keep sewing until it rights itself".  I noticed absolutely no difference between the quilting needles and standard needles.  Except that they seem to snap quite easily.

So there we go, oven gloves - done.  Now, in the spirit of this thrifty kind of project, I have a challenge for you.  I'm going to post more about it soon, but I wanted to find out if anyone would be interested.  If so, I'm wondering about doing a competition with a prize.  I have teamed up with UK fabric shop Abakhan to carry out a challenge myself and I was hoping I could persuade you to join in.  The idea is this, you take something you have lying around, I don't mean your huge fabric stashes, I mean some old clothes, an old duvet cover, something thrifted and use a maximum of £10 worth of new supplies to make it over, do it up or turn it into something completely new.    I'm envisioning a deadline of the end of May, giving everyone a month to get their projects done, probably with a linky party and a prize, but only if I can get enough interest.  So what do you think?  Would you join in?  Would you help me spread the word?
  

15 comments:

Celtic Thistle said...

Your oven gloves look a whole lot better than they probably did as tea towels! Like the sound of your challenge too, gives me the perfect excuse for another raid on my husband's shirts :)

Taryn V. said...

Love this gloves! I like how they are connected, I am always losing one of mine. As for tea towels, we just call them dish towels in my region (TX, USA).

mrslauralynn said...

The comment about the name 'tea towel' made me laugh, I've always wondered what that was all about? It just reinforces the stereotype that the English are obsessed with tea! I think I've heard people calling them dish towels?? which makes a lot more sense!
Anyway, you did a brilliant job, they look great :)

Sandra :) said...

We call them tea towels too, here in Canada :) Love your oven glove - those are really pretty tea towels! I think doing the quilting really gives a nicely finished project - your binding looks great too (binding is something I try to avoid out of fear wherever possible, lol).

I would join in your upcycle challenge!

The Dotty One said...

These look brilliant! Good work!

Also, the competition sounds like an excellent idea....no idea what I'd make though!

tillymint said...

What a super idea to use tea towels for your oven gloves. I really love the ones you used, where did you get them from (if you don't mind me asking) The black and white is very classy! Hope your machine is behaving itself and not making any more of those weird noises...

JoJo said...

We call them dish towels or dish rags here. the oven gloves are great!

Katherine said...

These are gorgeous, Wendy. Brilliant idea to use tea towels!

RobynLouise said...

Great oven gloves! Absolutely love the colours and the pattern. I use a layer of insulbrite for the "hot" side and back it with a piece of 100% wool blanket. Op-shops are my favourite store :)!
Wow, you've been busy again. Love the loom flowers - how do you make those?
Had to laugh at your "expose" of some of your stash. Mine is about as interesting (read messy) but I'm not putting it on my blog *blush*. LOL,I take it the stash sort challenge isn't progressing??? A month has already passed :D.
Cheers,
Robyn

Allie said...

Yep, we call them dish towels, lol! You did a great job on these, a double layer of insul-brite is a great idea. Your challenge sounds fun, but I can't afford any new supplies!

Our DIY Diaries said...

Love this! I would love for you to link it up at our party.

http://www.ourdiydiaries.com/2012/05/fab-not-drab-friday.html

Jen

Nancy Lee said...

We call them cup towels. I think it is a Maritime Canada thing. Also, it is a sensible term--you don't dry tea with them...
I would join the challenge. I'm all about making do and mending. Nice oven glove!

jaquelyn {mama thoughts} said...

These look great!! & I love the design on the towels. :)

Stopping by from the Made With Love link up!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks so much for linking up to Made With Love last week! I love your oven mitts and guess what? So did everyone else! They were the most clicked link last week! I'm featuring you today! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com/2012/05/made-with-love-link-up_13.html

Pam @Threading My Way said...

LOVE these!!! We call them tea towels, too, but we call oven gloves, pot holders.