Monday 15 July 2013

back pack

Good morning ladies, how was your weekend?  Today's post is about something I made a weekend ago, I had quite a few subjects for posts and knew that I'd have less time to make stuff in July, so held some things back.  I prefer just having one subject per post rather than mixing things up.  Is that boring?


Whilst feeling slightly panicky about the length of my WIP list, I decided to start making some bits for my holiday next month.  I used to have the best back pack ever.  It was very simple, a draw string bag with the drawstring doubling as the handles.  I bought it in a shop in Poland when I lived in Warsaw and so it said "Troll" on it.  That was the name of the shop, as far as I know, it's not a Polish word.  There were some shops with amusing names and one with a very rude name.  I won't repeat it here.  


Anyway, aforementioned bag accompanied me everywhere.  To the school to teach, to friend's houses and out clubbing containing smuggled bottles of vodka!  Yes, I was young once.  A long time ago.  This perfect bag was stolen in Barcelona during my second out of three muggings.  I mourned it for a long time.


I searched for years for a bag like that, but never found one I liked.  It was only a few weeks ago that I realised I could make one.  I thought it would be perfect for a beach holiday.  Just to be clear, my beach holiday will involve NO lying on the beach.  Apart from the fact it's to Devon, which is in England, which does NOT do beach weather, I have to wear factor 30+ sun cream and I still burn.  I've never had a tan in my life and I'm often mistaken for a milk bottle.  An accidental 10 minutes in the sun last week lead people to look at me in horror and ask what was wrong with my arms due to the odd purpley/red mottled effect the sun gives them.  The holiday will involve walks on the beach though, either whilst Mr CA and Junior CA are body boarding, or in the evenings, and a "normal" handbag is annoying.


Eagle eyed readers will notice it matches my Weekender Bag.  I am such a classy lady.  The lining is this lovely print that I bought from Abakhan at the NEC and I originally planned to make the bag in it, until I remembered my Coats & Clarke surplus.  It's home decor weight so it's more hard wearing, and I added some medium interfacing too.


I made the pattern up as I went along.  The handles are formed by threading some rope (from B&Q after a fruitless visit to Hobbycraft intending to buy their thickest piping cord.  Piping cord just doesn't come that thick.  This is 8mm rope) through tabs sewn into the side seams.  I didn't want to risk sewing the rope directly into the seams as it's very chunky.


I added 2 zip pockets, one in each size of the lining, one for my phone and the other for my huge variety of migraine/headache pills anything else small that I don't want to risk losing.


This style of bag is perfect if you are a tourist somewhere.  Not only does it free up your hands, it would be very hard for someone to slip a hand into your bag as it's tight at the top.  Opening the bag involves taking it off and pulling the top open, meaning the handles are too short for you to wear - there's no way anyone could attempt to open it to steal something.


I love it.  I'm going to show it to my mum to see if she wants one too, if she does would anyone be interested in a tutorial or is it just too basic for that?

20 comments:

Cath said...

I love the bag , and a tutorial would be great. I'd love to make a few for me and the kids .
Hope you have a lovely holiday too .x

Anna said...

Nice bag...the sun doesn't like me either
Have a great week !
Hug
Anna

Zed said...

That is gorgeous! I had a similar bag from Primark years ago, then it got a hole in the bottom and they'd stopped selling it :( They had it in again the next year though so I bought 3 or 4 to be on the safe side :) It's synthetic though and very hot in this weather, I might just have to try and make one if they can look this good. I do have cord, try Poundworld, they do packs of guy rope perfect for bags :)

pennydog said...

I don't think it's too basic for a tutorial!

Alison said...

Your bag looks great, I am going to make a couple like that for my two for school. A tutorial would be good, saves trial and error!

Alison
x

JoJo said...

Loving the bag! I hear ya on the inability to tan thing. Despite my Portuguese & Italian heritage, my skin is very pale and doesn't tan.

Allie said...

It's gorgeous and very smart - I think a tute would be wonderful, Wendy!

Samantha said...

JUNIOR CA?!?!?! What?! How can you keep a child secret from us all this time then suddenly spring them on us when you're about to go on holiday? I had no idea there was a junior CA. I like them already.

Also, I like your bag :)

heart of charnwood said...

Great bag! And glad to hear you're enjoying the sunshine :o)

Sandra :) said...

Fair skinned redheads signing in, quite familiar with the perils of sunshine, and well used to SPF30+, lol. Cute backpack!

Fiona said...

great bag... I'd love to go to Devon on my next visit over there... my daughter has just spent a week there on a course
lovely bag.... I hope you will show pics of it in use in Devon...
Hugz

Nancy Lee said...

A tutorial would keep you out of the sun!
This bag is pretty, practical and stylish. It will be your favourite holiday accessory.

Have a great time, and leave your troubles on the sea breeze.

Jane said...

I love this bag, it's a great style and so versatile.
You reminded me that I forgot to pick up cord while I was out yesterday! You probably got it cheaper from B&Q than you would have at Hobbycraft, I may have to go there this morning

moira said...

oooh lovely. I like that it matches your weekender too. It's all about SPF50 in this house #thatshowweroll

Anonymous said...

That looks just perfect for a holiday. Please do a tutorial - especially for the pockets in the lining! As Alison says we could probably work it out but why reinvent the wheel!

ukcitycrafter@live.co.uk

Celtic Thistle said...

Now that is definitely a bag that is fit for purpose. Sounds like you will be suffering this week in our surprisingly still here summer weather. Hope you have a lovely time in Devon with lots of cream teas to help you stay out of the sun :)

Hanni said...

Your backpack looks nice :)
I also like my arms and hands free while I am walking big distances. I usually carry a big messenger bag I thrifted two years ago. Actually it is a diaper bag, but so big and roomy meanwhile feather-weighted (when empty), so I don't care its original function :)

Joy McD said...

Very cute bag! As I was reading I thought - is she going to do a tutorial, lol! So, yes please!!! xxx

Pam @Threading My Way said...

I thought if I visited England, that I wouldn't have to worry about the sun, but sounds like I was wrong. Your backpack looks great and is totally practical, too.... gorgeous fabric. There'll be lots of people who wouldn't find a tutorial too basic. I find some of my most popular posts are for super easy things.

JennyPennyPoppy said...

Terrific looking bag and I like the material you chose. If I had time I'd love a tutorial but my fingers are already in too many pies.