Friday 21 March 2014

making a start on the gold work

I've been doing a lot of stitching recently.  I have started a rather mammoth blackwork project which I'll tell you all about soon, but first I need an update on this month's challenge for Needlequest.   The topic is goldwork and it just so happens I have two kits.

This is where I'm starting.  It's a canvas work project that uses copper threads.  OK, it's not gold, but goldwork is a term which encompasses metal threads in general, so that's fine.  I've never seen canvas work with goldwork before but the counted nature makes it easier than surface embroidery, for me at least.



It's by Carolyn, I bought it at Harrogate last year.  This is the contents of the kit:



Instructions, a piece of copper coloured canvas, silk for the back, felt for padding, wadding, various threads, beads for the edging and a couple of needles.  Also pictured are the card of goldwork needles and the goldwork scissors I bought from Golden Hinde (the maker of my second kit), but I didn't actually need them for this kit.



This is the result of 2 night's stitching.  It does work pretty fast!  The middle is made up of Rhodes Stars in cream Perle 12.  They make a lovely texture as they've very raised.  Then we have rows of satin stitch of various lengths in copper threads, grey rayon (nightmare to stitch!), cream stranded cotton - all 6 strands, copper thread again and now I'm embarking on a final row of Rhodes Stars.



I think this will be finished pretty quickly, if I can keep my focus on it and not start something else!  Bit tricky as I just received an embroidery book to review...



I've put my little scissors in this picture for scale.  I also started an applique project, this is for yet another book review!



You'll have to wait to see the results of this one!


Related posts
Needlequest January - Needlepainting
Needlequest February - Japan (Sashiko)

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

They both look lovely projects!

Sarah in Stitches said...

Beautiful stitching so far! I'm sure you'll be able to finish it in no time. Curious about your applique project too :D

Shirlee Fassell said...

The canvas work is coming out nicely. We were in Harrogate several years ago and I remember one needlework shop but mostly Betty's Tea Room any the marzipan!!

Unknown said...

Fascinating, I really love seeing the contents of the kit and the steps you are taking to make it up, thanks for sharing! You've been so busy with your needle lately...and now books to review! Chrissie x

JoJo said...

I love that metalwork project. Very pretty designs and textures. I admit I groan when I open a kit and see metalic threat or, worse, blending filament! They always get tangled and knotted no matter how careful I am or how short I make the strands.

Anna said...

Already beautiful !!!
Have a nice weekend !
Anna

pennydog said...

Are you going to the stitch craft show at the NEC this weekend? I'm contemplating it...

Sandra :) said...

I've never heard of goldwork before - it's quite elegant!

Gina said...

Beautiful stitching! I love the raised pattern!!

Melody said...

Wonderful stitching

Rachel said...

Rhodes stitch is a good one to create lots of texture and changes of level, and it seems to be coming together very nicely.

Jo Ferguson said...

Stunning work. I love copper and can't wait to see how the stitching, turns out. The applique is lovely, as well.

Jane said...

That looks a lovely project to work on, can't wait to see the next stage. Have fun with the applique

Celtic Thistle said...

I have never tried goldwork but it is on my list of things to try some day!

Thanks for linking up to New to Me too :)