Saturday 26 April 2014

purple improv

This month's colour for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is purple.  On Easter Monday I thought it was about time I got these done and dusted.

Soscrppy

Out came the purple scrap bag, out came the tablet with 24 (I'm on episode 17!  Only 7 more, and then another 6 series to go!!), and on went the sewing machine.


I made wonky improv log cabins.  I forgot they were wonky at times, as you can see.  I just used whatever was at hand and which fit, no thought for value or design or anything.  Yeah, that's how I roll!  (It's called laziness in case you're wondering)


They all ended up 8.5" square.


I added borders either side, borders top and bottom and at each edge to make them up to a panel of 13" x 33".  These babies are set to be my next scrap bucket.


I did get a bit further than this, I quilted, cut to size and interfaced before sewing the shell up, but forgot to take photos as I was more interested in why Terry had amnesia...

Then I had to stop.  I was painting the kitchen at the weekend and Mr CA came home with more paint... damn!  

12 comments:

Joy said...

Hey, lots of lovely variety here Wendy, I like it! Sometimes I think I need to take a more relaxed approach - it obviously works beautifully for you! Well done - now enjoy your painting, darn! Joy xo

Jane said...

Looking good

JoJo said...

I love the purples and it doesn't look wonky to me! You are on Season 1 of 24? That show was so intense that I used to involuntarily start shaking uncontrollably when it was on. My teeth would chatter, all my muscles were tense and shaking. Nothing I did relieved it. I would spend the entire episode stretching, deep breathing, I tried getting under tons of blankets, a hot shower at the commercial....even sedatives wouldn't relieve that visceral reaction. I only watched the first 2 seasons and had to stop. No other show has ever done that to me!

Sarah in Stitches said...

These look so funky! Great job with them :D

Sandra :) said...

A crafter's apprentice's work is never done, lol! I like the wonky log cabins - I don't think wonky scrappy blocks need attention paid to colour value - they're usually "the next piece of fabric out of the scrap bag" type of projects - that's how I do them, anyways!

Rachel said...

It's a serious nuisance when the housework gets in the way of the crafting, isn't it!

Unknown said...

A fab project! I love the scrap buckets...Cx

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Wonky is good... a great way to use up scraps. Sometimes just sewing as they come, can work out better than carefully designed and it's faster. Yours are looking great!

margaret said...

do like the wonky log cabin look, will have to have a go at that too, scrap bucket sounds good for this piece

Maria said...

I love these blocks. Wonky or not and the colours are so pretty.

Jo Ferguson said...

It's called "inspired" not "laziness". The blocks look great.

Christine Altmiller said...

This is the coolest log cabin I have seen! The wonk adds so much charm to the quilt.