Tuesday 13 January 2015

making lace

A couple of years ago I got a lacemaking kit from my parents for either my birthday or Christmas.  I got a few craft kits this year for both my birthday and Christmas, so decided it was time to start an old one!  This is for making bobbin lace.



The contents seemed a bit bizarre until I actually got down to it. The polystyrene roll is the worksurface, it's now been covered in the navy fabric provided.  Each of the bobbins had to have a beaded dangle attached, that took me ages!



I could have sworn I'd taken a work in progress photo, but I can't find one so clearly I didn't.  I'll get one next time.  



This is the piece of lace I made.  Don't laugh!  It was my first time...  One the right is the start and it seems I was doing it wrong, then I started doing it right and made the rest of the piece.  As I was following the instructions I realised that they were to make a rose with petals and leaves and a decoration at the back.  I thought it was just making random pieces of lace.  As my attempt wasn't quite perfect, I plan to start again, but I need to get some more of the thread first, it's just DMC but I'm not sure I'll have enough left.

I promise that next time I'll take some photos of the set up and tell you more of what's involved.  I really enjoyed trying something new, must do it more often!

18 comments:

Oops-Lah said...

I've always admired people who can make lace as to me it looks just too complicated. Great first try.

Chrissie said...

Oh well done for trying this, I was given exactly the same kit years ago and found it impossible to do, all fingers and thumbs. I really appreciate the time and dedication that the lace makers give to this craft. Keep trying xcx

Rachel said...

Once you get in the swing of it, bobbin lace can be quite quick and really effective. So do enjoy your next adventure!

Cindy said...

This is so exciting! I've wanted to watch someone make lace, so please keep trying and blogging. Can't wait to see where this goes :)

Joy McD said...

Oh what fun! I am hoping to learn how to make lace too, but I'll try to take a class.... I'm impressed with what you have done so far, it can't be easy! xxx

Fiona said...

I do love how you have a go at all these things.... lacemaking is fascinating but too scary for me!!! I love watching the lacemakers at craft shows...
Hugz

Sandra :) said...

Oh heavens - when I looked at the second picture I thought the polystyrene roll was a ROLL OF TOILET PAPER! I thought that was a rather odd ingredient for lace, but since I've never made lace nor do I know HOW it's made, I figured that maybe it's a standard inclusion in all things lace, LOL!! I'm actually rather glad that the world supply of TP won't be decimated by all the lace-makers - now I can rest easy :D You definitely need to get some in-progress pictures - I have no idea what you do with the toilet paper polystyrene roll ;)

Jane said...

I'm sure it must get easier with practise, it really makes you appreciate the skill lacemakers have when you see the big, intricate pieces they produce

Sarah in Stitches said...

Oh cool! It would be so interesting to make your own lace. Can't wait to see more! :D

Anonymous said...

Well done for starting something new, I have a friend who is an accomplished lace maker and she uses crochet cotton which comes in different thicknesses. Good job!

Christine said...

I had the same kit years ago, though it looks as if the contents have changed a bit. Couldn't get on with it at all from the instructions, but then a friend who knew how to do it demonstrated for me and it was much easier after that. Your first try looks very much like mine did. :)
Haven't done any for ages though, not sure I'd remember how now

Mokki said...

Ive seen ladies working on this, it looks like very patient work. Ive always been scared off because of how delicate it is. Your first go looks good. Very intricate.

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

I've always been fascinated by bobbin lace but it looks very complicated to do. I'll be interested to see your next piece. You've got a very nice even woven effect along the centre and the bottom left row of picots (probably not the right word) is excellent. I'm sure my first attempt would end in a big knot!

Celtic Thistle said...

Lacemaking has always looked terribly complicated to me so well done for even attempting it Wendy!

Anonymous said...

I've seen this technique.. is it like bobbin-lace making? but I've not tried it myself.. would love to hear and learn more from you..

Kat said...

The beaded bit at the bottom of your bobbin is called a spangle. If you don't like it (I don't) - use continental bobbins, they don't have them!

CeLynn said...

I have never tried to make lace,so no laughing here! It looks very good for a first attempt.

Anita said...

A lovely attempt ! Lace making is a complicated process so I think you need patience and practice.I've always admired bobbin lace and wanted to try it but haven't done it yet.I too have a kit in my stash somewhere but mine has a styrofoam sheet instead of a roll like yours.Thanks for reminding me :-) will have to try it atleast this year.