Monday 21 September 2015

Bezellling with Khoeps - not the pyramid

As this is a jewellery post, you can probably guess that I went to another workshop at the Bead Shop Nottingham.  I do have ideas of my own for jewellery, pieces half done, patterns I want to try, but my illness/condition just seems to get in the way a lot of the time.  I know I've mentioned it a few times recently, but it is a big part of my life, like it or not (and I don't), and I've stopped being so scared of people finding out that I'm depressed.  Anyway, back to the subject of the post.


The workshop was to create a pendent or brooch using Kheops beads bezelled round a Rivoli.  Did that sound like I was speaking Greek?  I'll break it down.

These are Kheop's beads:
Kheops Par Puca 6mm Beads Pastel Turquoise
Before you start thinking my photography skills have improved, the photo is stolen from the Bead Shop's website, but I give them so much free advertising, I'm sure they won't mind.

This is a Rivoli:
Swarovski Foiled Rivoli Crystal 14mm
It's a round crystal made by Swarovski, (photo stolen again).  We used an 18mm diameter rivoli in the class.  It's rounded on the front, but kind of pointy on the back.  This allows you to encase the sides in a beaded casing and it'll stay put.  Oh, here we go, I've stolen a photo of the back:
Swarovski Foiled Rivoli Crystal 14mm

Bezelling, or creating a bezel, is the way that you encase the sides of the rivoli, holding it in the middle of a piece of beadwork.  What I've done below is made a bezel round the rivoli, then added rows of Kheops and Swarovski bicone crystals.


I just couldn't capture the colour very well.  The Kheops I used are the same ones as the first photo on this page, the sead beads are clear and turquoise, the crystals are turquoise too.  I've added a couple of size 8 beads on the back so that I can add a piece of silver beading wire through and hang it very simply.  You never know, in a few months when I get round to it, I might even post a photo!

12 comments:

Rachel said...

It's worked beautifully - well done!

Christine B said...

Absolutely beautiful Wendy! Love the colours of all the different beads! Have a good week! Christine x

Sharon - creativity and family said...

It is so beautiful, I love the colours. Never worry about talking about depression, I think it can help so much sometimes just to acknowledge our illnesses. You manage so well to keep positive and I always enjoy your posts. xx

Sandra :) said...

It looks really pretty, Wendy - I love that turquoise colour! What are you using to attach all the beads (or rather - to bezel with them :D) - is it fine wire or beading string of some sort?

Cath said...

Well done on this piece it looks lovely. I particular like how the inner most rings of the bezel disappear on the rivoli.

Nancy Lee said...

This is gorgeous!
Depression is a tough go, but sometimes just naming it and saying it out loud is a big load off the shoulders.
Besides which, there are enough of us out here dealing with depression and anxiety that we all know where you are coming from, and we need to cheer each other on.
Hugs to you, crafty girl!

Jo Ferguson said...

It's a stunning piece.

Jane said...

It's a beautiful colour, very pretty

Flickenstichlerin said...

Wonderful, what a beautiful broach.
Greetings,
Sylvia

Sharon - creativity and family said...

Hi Wendy, I have just nominated you for the Liebster award. I would love for you to join in but please don't feel obliged to if you would rather not.You can find out all about it in my post here
https://creativityandfamily.wordpress.com/2015/09/22/liebster-blog-award/
Sharon xx

Sarah in Stitches said...

Beautiful piece! I love the colors. :D I hope you feel better!

pennydog said...

So pretty!