Sunday 24 July 2016

Hardanger #5

Ladies and gentlemen.... I have finished!

I have finished my second SAL project which is  Mabel Figworthy's Fancies Song of the Weather SAL Hardanger sampler.  I started it in 2013, so it took a while, but the last couple of weeks I've been stitching like a demon to get it done.

There are 2 panels, each with 6 blocks.  This is January to June.


We have a wrong-way-round photo here... damn you photo!






And here is August to December, which is the one I've been stitching on for this SAL.





See, I finished that ribbon rose!  It doesn't match any of the blues, and it's 6mm rather than the 4mm called for, but finished is better than perfect!



I knew I wanted some sashing between the blocks, so I consulted my embroidery book library.  In The New Anchor Book of Hardanger I found this zig zag hem stitch which seemed perfect.  I really enjoyed doing it!


So here we go, both pieces together.  I have no idea why I started the second one so close to the edge and I'm kicking myself for it.  I couldn't put in an outer border and it will make it difficult to frame.  BUT, it's finished!



Tune in in 3-weeks time and I'll show you my next project.

I'm sewing along as part of a SAL, you can go and see what the other participants have been up to here:


AvisClaireGunCarole, LucyAnnKateJessSueConstanzeDebbieroseChristinaSusan


15 comments:

Kate Chiconi said...

Well done on finishing such an epic piece of work, or perhaps that should be pair of pieces of work. Really beautiful, and if you hadn't mentioned the rose being the wrong colour and size, we'd never have known :-)

Christine said...

Your Hardanger is lovely

Anonymous said...

That looks amazing and a huge well done for finishing it. I love the Hem stitch that you've used in-between the blocks. It finishes them off beautifully.

Rachel said...

Woo-hoo! Well done indeed! It can be a tricky technique, after all...

Anonymous said...

well done Wendy! they're a lovely set

Kerryp77 said...

Looks lovely. I think the dragonfly block is my favourite. I've tried to get that anchor book as I have others that are really good. It's quite hard to get now.

Anonymous said...

Wow! They are all gorgeous and I love the sashing too. Maybe you could sew a coordinating fabric border all around before framing.

Radka said...

Beautiful work, well done :-)
xx

Sandra :) said...

They're beautiful, Wendy - they look so lacey!

Jane said...

Yay, well done. Love the border too, works really well

margaret said...

the zig zag hem stitch finishes these blocks off beautifully a wonderful project completed

Anonymous said...

They look fabulous and I'm a sucker for anything in blue and white! I've never tried Hardanger but I am slightly tempted now...

Sarah in Stitches said...

It's so beautiful! Amazing work. I can't decide which block I like best! :D

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!!!! What more can I say!

D1-D2 said...

Beautiful work! Congrats on finishing all the blocks.